Massachusetts Approved Basic Pistol Course LTC-002
This popular course meets the minimum firearms safety training requirement for obtaining a Massachusetts firearms license. It is meant for those applicants that have little or no firearms experience or for those who want a refresher on basic handgun handling skills. This training class exceeds the standards established to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) in accordance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter . 140, § 131P and 515 CMR 3.00.
This instructor led course that covers the safe handling, operation, maintenance and firing of different types of modern handguns. Students are given the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe handling, operation, storage of firearms and ammunition in the home and transportation of firearms outside the home. Students are also instructed in and practice stances, firing grips, sight alignment, sight picture and handgun manipulation in a live fire environment.
This class does include range time. However, you will handle non firing ammunition and load and unloaded revolvers and semi-auto pistols in the classroom. No handling or loading of live ammunition will be permitted during classroom activities.
- Rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Practical Exercises in Safe Gun Handling
- Ammunition types and function in different type of firearms
- Proper storage and childproofing of firearms in the home
- Student participation in firearms maintenance and cleaning
- Stances used for shooting firearms
- Practical firing grips
- Sight alignment and sight picture
- Shooting stances
- Structured shooting exercises
- Firearm selection
- Applicable Massachusetts firearms laws for purchase, possession, transfer, storage and transportation
- Ammunition selection for self defense
- The licensing process and completing the license application
The classroom portion will be completed prior going to the range. You must have your own transportation to and from the range.
During the range portion of the course and the structured shooting exercises, the student will fire a .22 caliber and or 9mm caliber semi automatic pistol and or a revolver.
If you do not require live fire training or just want the classroom portion of the training the LTC 007 class will better suit your needs.